How can we use these little words correctly?
Prepositions are used in many different ways in English - perhaps that's why a lot of people have problems with them.
First, they are used with time words:
- on Monday
- in the 20th century
- at night
Second, they are used to show where something or
- The plate is on the table.
- Julie is in the garden.
- The picture is on the wall.
Third, they are used after some adjectives:
- She is good at tennis.
- Scotland is famous for whisky
- I'm worried about my new job.
Fourth, they are used after some verbs:
- I'm listening to music.
- She is waiting for her friend.
- He borrows money from his sister.
Fifth, they are used after some nouns:
- She has trouble with remembering new vocabulary.
Finally, they are used in certain phrases:
- The bus arrived in the end.
- She arrived just in time for the film.