Using Superlative AdjectivesWith superlative adverbs, we can also choose to use 'the' or 'no article':
- Luke reads (the) fastest.
- I like vanilla ice cream (the) best.
- She can speak six languages, but she speaks Spanish (the) most confidently.
- I'm Ø most productive early in the morning [I'm more productive in the morning than I am in the afternoon or the evening].
- I'm the most productive early in the morning [I'm more productive than the other people in my office first thing in the morning].
- Julie does swimming, running and cycling. She's always Ø most tired after cycling.
- John types Ø most quickly when he's drunk a lot of coffee!
- Tea is Ø best when you drink it very hot.
- London is Ø most depressing in January.
(This is an extract from my book: A and The Explained)